Assistant Consultant is responsible for providing the care of his patients and maintaining a high-level of professional performance in accordance with Professional medical ethics, Hospital medical by-laws and Laws of Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and any other applicable regulations according to the departmental quality plan. He reports to the designated Consultant(s) and be accountable, through the Chief of Department and to the Medical Director; Works without direct Consultant supervision, but may not assume the overall responsibility for the continuing care of the patient; refers to the Consultant in ALL matters requiring changes in care programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The specialist is second on call on duty and must stay in the hospital for 24 hours on the duty day. After finishing of the 24 hours duty, he has to finish all admission problems and to do his rounds with the consultant on call.
- The emergency orthopedic cases are admitted under the consultant and the specialist on duty. He is responsible for providing the necessary treatment of the patient as the situation demands, including performing emergency surgery, referring patient to other specialist or to other hospitals. He has to write down his plan for management of the patient in the chart. Investigations for blood transmitted diseases (hepatitis, HIV…) is his responsibility. . The specialist on duty will attend the consultation request of other departments of the hospital as well as maternity & children hospital. He may attend consultation request from other hospitals if directed by the consultant or head of the department.
- He is advised not to schedule his routine OR when on 24 hours duty.
- He has to arrange beds for patients waiting in ER for an emergency admission, to refer them to bed management or social worker to take action if hasn’t set any. When a patient is seen by him in ER, that doesn’t mean this patient is his own unless admitted in his duty.
- ER is under the direct supervision of duty specialist, he has to check any left over cases at the start of his duty. Refer any remaining cases at the end of it.
- When called to 200 OR to participate in surgery started by other department, he has to reply immediately. Take all measures to avoid mistakes which in liable to occur in these circumstances. If he is busy, he should call his consultant.
- He is directly responsible to obtain enough empty beds for his duty by having a quick overview of bed situation. If there are no vacant beds, he should discharge patient who is fit to go home starting by his own patient then his group patient with coordination of unit head then by other group patient with coordination of the head of department.
- The specialist on duty will remain responsible for the patients admitted in his duty day until the patient is discharged and will also follow him in the clinic. He will also readmit the patient for subsequent management if necessary as routine or emergency. The specialist in charge of the patient will write medical reports if requested by relevant authority as per hospital rules.
- The specialist on duty will supervise, guide and instruct the resident either on 24 hours duty or in the clinic or in the wards. He will help the Saudi and Arab Board trainee residents in clinical and surgical techniques.
- He should not allow resident on duty to leave hospital under any circumstances.
- As a part of the orthopedic team in disaster plan, he has to respond immediately to code red.
- Fluent in verbal and written English.
- Exhibits professionalism and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Is knowledgeable of the Medical by-laws.
- Knowledge of computer application.
Master Degree in orthopedic specialty or equivalent